Skip to main content

Inspirational Stories: Alzheimer's Disease - What love is all about

It was a busy morning, approximately 8:30 am, when an elderly gentleman, in his 80s arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He stated that he was in a hurry and that he had an appointment at 9:00 am. I took his vital signs, and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would be able to see him. 

I saw him looking at his watch and decided, since I was not busy with another patient, I would evaluate his wound.

On exam it was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors, got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redressed his wound. While taking care of him, we began to engage in conversation. I asked him if he had a doctor's appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry. The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife. I then inquired as to her health. He told me that she had been there for a while and was a victim of Alzheimer's Disease.

As we talked and I finished dressing his wound, I asked if she would be worried if he was a bit late. He replied that she no longer knew who he was, and hadn't recognized him in five years. I was surprised, and asked him, "And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are?" He smiled and patted my hand and said, "She doesn't know me, but I still know who she is."

Inspirational stories

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four deer pulled from the icy waters of Stephens Passage, Alaska

Weirdest Day Of Fishing Ever!   ...

Male logic joke

*This is a story which is perfectly logical to all males:*   A wife asks her husband, "Could you please go shopping for me and buy one carton of milk, and if they have eggs, get 6."   A short time later the husband comes back with 6 cartons of milk.  The wife asks him, "Why the hell did you buy 6 cartons of milk?"   He replied, "They had eggs."

Ted: 10+ Things I Learned Watching Ted with Mark Wahlberg

If called upon, Tom Brady could save the world. Homosexuals like turkey burgers. Thunder is just God's farts. Channing Tatum's index finger can be the topic of girl talk. Women cannot distinguish between the Darth Vader theme and a song from the Notebook. Surprisingly, insulting and talking dirty to the job interviewer can land you the job. Having sex instead of working can lead to a promotion. To party like it was the 80s, you just gotta nail a lot of girls named Stephanie. Don't trust someone on drugs with a knife. A real duck could totally beat up a stuffed bear. However, the stuffed bear can totally beat up a 35-year old human man.