Who says the romantic comedy genre is dead? Ok, I probably have said that many times. There has not been a good one in a very long time. Which brings us to “Set It Up”...a Netflix Original romantic comedy written by Katie Silberman and directed by Claire Scanlon. This movie is basically a cross between two classics: “The Devil Wears Prada” and “The Parent Trap.”
The movie follows two assistants (Zoey Deutch and Glen Powell) who are overworked and underpaid. The assistants are wasting their lives away working for a-hole bosses (Lucy Liu and Taye Diggs) who treat them like dirt and work them around the clock. The two assistants meet up and realize that their personal lives are suffering because their bosses are miserable and are taking out their misery on their assistants. How to solve this dilemma? Oh yeah, lets set the two a-holes up! Of course, romance ensues.
This movie is hilarious. In one scene, an obese delivery man begins stripping, then urinating, while on a stalled elevator car. There were many other LOL moments. The two bosses are way over the top which is kind of silly but "Set It Up" is the best romantic comedy in a long time.
Go see this immediately!
This movie will appeal to you if:
- you like romantic comedies
- you thought Glen Powell was hilarious in "Everybody Wants Some!"
- you thought Zoey Deutch was adorable in "Everybody Wants Some!"
- aren't easily offended by words
This movie will not appeal to you if:
- you do not like romantic comedies
- you want a movie based on something that might actually happen
- you are not ok with some possibly offensive jokes